Saturday, April 18, 2009

The health update...

So, after a second trip to the doctor (this time I saw my parent's family physician)... I do not have a bacterial infection, but a virus. Labyrinthitis to be exact. Because it's a virus, it can't be cured with medication, so I just have to wait it out. The virus can last anywhere from a week and a half to three weeks. I am at 2 weeks and very ready to be over this.
Labyrinthitis attacks the inner ear, which affects balance and causes vertigo. The virus has also attacked my facial nerve endings causing a mild form of Bell's Palsy. The right side of my face is numb, kind of like I've just been to the dentist and had that side of my mouth numbed... it's more of a discomfort than anything serious. Bell's Palsy is temporary and usually clears up on its own within one to two months... (yeah me!).
I'm being hopeful... the doctor gave me Cortisone/Prednisone shots to ease the pain while I wait out the virus. If I'm not feeling 100 percent better in a week, then we are moving on to blood work and an MRI... let's hope I'm feeling better in a week!!! :)
No worries though... I'm looking forward to feeling completely healthy again! The doctor was very positive.

I really am so grateful for all of you... countless people have just gone out of their way to help me either emotionally, physically or mentally. I really do LOVE you all!!!

3 comments:

Marci said...

I have had vertigo a lot. I thought it was fun for about an hour then I totally got over it. I'm sorry that you are going through this. Sara Cook went through the Bell Palsy thing during her second pregnancy. I use a medicine called antivert when my vertigo gets really bad.

I guess the upside of this is that what you have has a really cool name. lol! Sorry, I always have to find the silver lining in things. :D

I hope that you get better soon.

Grandma Turtle said...

I hope you're all better by tomorrow morning.... I want to see you! We'll keep up with the prayers. I'm watching for a blessing to come to you for enduring well your trial. You are strong. You can do it!

Cami said...

Oh Heather, I will be praying for you to fully recover very soon!!