Monday, April 13, 2009

Diagnosis: VeRtiGo

If you don't know what vertigo is and have never had it before.... I pray you NEVER have to find out! I'm a relatively healthy person, so when I woke up to the room spinning out of control last Monday morning I was soooooo scared! Feeling like you are on a roller coaster ride that you can't get off of is pretty terrifying. Eyes open or shut, the room just kept spinning which of course lead to motion sickness. Trying to walk was "interesting"... my equilibrium was completely out of whack, so I would just tip over when I stood up. I literally laid in bed for 6 days.
After 2 days in bed and a long talk with my dad (he's a retired paramedic and worked in the ER for years... so I trust his judgement), I gave in and went to the doctor. Honestly I don't know what was scarier... the tone in my dads voice when he told me to go the doctor immediately or the look on the doctors face when he told me how lucky I was that I came in when I did. I have never been to the doctor for anything even remotely serious, so I guess I didn't understand the urgency of it all until the doctors face turned from pleasant to concerned.
As of right now the doctors think my vertigo happened because fluid had somehow collected behind both of my eardrums and an infection had begun.
I'm not out of the woods yet either. After a week of antibiotics and medication overload, my head is still pretty cloudy, the dizziness continues, I have a headache that won't subside and my ears, neck, jaw, shoulders and arms are still very sore.
Lesson learned: if things don't feel right with your body... listen to your body and GO TO THE DOCTOR!!! Don't wait for it to get better all on it's own, because sometimes it just won't!

Anyway, I just want to thank ALL of the friends who came to my rescue. Unfortunately this all happened over spring break and my girls were stuck at home with a mom who couldn't really do anything or go anywhere... so thank you all soooooo much! I just really wanted to thank my sis-in-law Liz for entertaining my little missy, Steph for taking my girls to the Easter egg hunt, my step-mom Nette for doing my laundry, and all of the countless friends who sent well wishes. I really don't know what I would have done without you!!!
I just feel so blessed and so loved! I really have the most incredible friends and family!!!

4 comments:

lisa said...

Yikes Heather! I'm sorry to hear you've been sick. I hope it clears up soon and you are as good as new!

Grandma Turtle said...

I'm glad you're on the mend.

Jenelle said...

Heather, I hope you get feeling 100% better soon! Sorry that happened, sounds scary!!!

Cami said...

Oh my goodness!! That is so scary, I hope it all goes away soon and you get back to normal!!! Friends and family are the best at times like these.