Sunday, January 13, 2013

coulda, shoulda, woulda... 2013

I coulda come up with some sort of Christmas card this last year...
I really shoulda come up with something...
I woulda but...

UGH!

Every year I begin thinking about Christmas cards well in advance.  And for whatever reason the idea never materializes... EVER!

I kind of chuckled this year when a friend of mine posted this as her status on fb...
We are horrible at sending Christmas cards so, Merry Christmas and best wishes for the New Year in 2013!
What a brilliant idea!  Can I just do that too?

I actually really love Christmas cards.  I love, love, love getting them.  I'm sure I would love sending them.  It's one of those things that should just happen right?  And when it doesn't happen I'm left feeling guilty about it... again!  Maybe I should start now for this next Christmas?  Or I was thinking of just maybe doing what Gretchen Rubin does in her book The Happiness Project.  It's actually a really cute idea, but I fear that I won't do it then either and then I'll be left with the guilty feeling twice a year instead of just the one time. :)

I just realized earlier this week that this blog actually started 5 years ago with this post, which oddly enough was a Christmasy-ish, Christmas card post.  Which was followed by this, this, this and this, which was my version of a Christmasy-ish photo recap of the year.  This is when I used to make things simple.  Maybe I should have just stuck with what worked then. :)

Lately I've desperately wanted to return to that time, or maybe just a time, when things seemed so much simpler.  I may have had a life that some would view as hard, difficult or something of the like... but honestly that time in my life was an incredibly happy time.  It was a time when I did what I loved.  My time was so very precious that I spent it wisely and used each minute to the fullest.  I miss that time in my life.

Sorry about that little off track blip there, sometimes my heart just needs to get things out there.

Well, had I produced some magnificent Christmasy-ish, Christmas card post for this past year, it would have gone a little like this...

2012.  We blinked and it was over.  The end.

Just kidding!

What can I say?  I am truly blessed!  I have 4 amazing children, friends that are incredibly supportive, loving and understanding, a home, ward and community that I absolutely love, and am completely aware of the Lord's love for me and His hand in my life.

Well, feeling that desire to return to what I used to do and love, I'm realizing I have strayed away from writing about the things I love the most in this world... my children.  One of my favorite things lately has been re-reading past posts about the girls.  I'm so glad I wrote about their likes, dislikes, loves and current happenings because a lot of it I had forgotten about.  I'm so thankful now for capturing those memories and moments.  So, in an attempt to return to capturing the NOW moments in their lives I thought I'd do something I haven't done it quite a while and just write about them. :)

Kayla is 17, going on 22 {very shortly}. I still have no idea where all the time went.  I can't believe I'm even old enough to have a 17 year old (I am... don't be starting any rumors people).
What can I say about my not so little, little girl?  She began this school year as a senior {Ugh... I'm feeling old}, graduation is right around the corner!  She was elected as the drama council secretary for the 2012-2013 school year, which came as a huge surprise to her because it wasn't a position she even applied for.  The drama department chair at CHHS hand picked Kayla for the position, which was a big deal to her.  She's been working at Ab's Drive In, well, since she turned 16... and was recently promoted to a supervisor position.  It was such a proud mama moment walking into the restaurant and watching her work in a leadership role.  She is amazing as a leader and I had no idea she had this natural ability to lead and manage... she amazes me!  What's in the near future for my "little girl", well she is a soon to be UVU student (deaf studies program).  Last school year, Kayla took an ASL class and things just took off for her.  She seriously is gifted in sign language.  She picked it up like it was nothing and then decided on her own that she wanted to pursue a career in interpreting.  Oddly enough, there are a few repeat customers that come into Ab's that are deaf and Kayla happily and effortlessly takes their order... again, this was another one of those proud mama moments where I'm watching my daughter in complete awe.  Kayla and I have also talked about the possibility of her serving a sign language mission, and now that young women can go 2 whole years earlier, it makes the possibility even greater.

Cammy is a sassy, super talented 15 year old.  She reminds me every other day that she gets a permit in a few months and a drivers license shortly thereafter.  Every time she talks like this all I am thinking in my head is, NOOOOOOO!!!  I'm really not ready to start this process with one of my children again.  Cammy is my 9th grader {again, making me feel a little old}.  She found a spot on the concert choir again this year, which she absolutely loves.  I could sit all day and listen to her sing, she has a beautiful voice.  She was chosen to serve as the historian at school and is constantly taking pictures... mostly of herself. ;)  She began taking tumbling this year, which has been quite the workout, but she loves it.  She is looking forward to trying out for the CHHS volleyball team this next school year too.  I can't believe she heads off to high school later this year.  I'm not sure how I feel about this yet.  Cammy also recently recorded a song in an actual recording studio, which was a fun experience.  Cammy's goals for the future... well, it changes almost daily, but usually revolves around being a tattoo artist, hair stylist or a doctor... um, she's 15 so I guess she's got time to figure this one out.  She is my ultimate organizer/baby sitter/mini-mom... I really couldn't survive without her.

Little Miss {aka: Krystian} is my super social 11 year old, 5th grader.  She's not much taller than she was as a 3rd grader, which was my secret plan to keep her as my little girl for as long as possible.  It's worked out in her favor though.  After only 9 months of taking gymnastics, Krystian was invited to join the competition team at AW.  Saying she is excited is an understatement.  She found out right before Christmas that she had been chosen for the team and was bouncing off the walls for the 2 weeks that the gym was closed... she just couldn't wait to get back to the gym and get back to work.  She has to be at the gym almost everyday, so I have now taken on the role of "gym mom" {it's similar to a dance mom, just less drama ;)}.  Of course with her current love for gymnastics she wants to be a gymnast for, well, forever and eventually wants to be a veterinarian.  She's super excited to turn 12 this year and has already made plans for a mom and daughter temple date when she is able to get her recommend.  I'm so excited to experience this with her, and although I don't want her to grow up anymore, I am so excited for her future.  It's ironic, I want her to stay little, but I loving watching her grow up! :)

Zachary {aka: Z, Zach or Zach-attack} is my all over the place, almost 2 year old.  He seriously is the most joyous little soul.  He LOVES music and sings songs he hears from pretty much anywhere... nursery, mom, his sisters and even the radio.  His favorite songs these days: Once There Was a Snowman, The Snowflake Song, and I Won't Give Up (by Jason Mraz).  It's funny how some songs just stick.  His oldest sister loves that Jason Mraz song and listens to it A LOT and Zach just picked it up and started singing it one day... probably the cutest thing ever!  He is my cookie monster.  I don't know how he does it, but he always seems to find ways to get his hands on a cookie {I blame his sisters  :)}.  He is the absolute best at giving kisses and cuddles and is seriously the most loving little boy.  Z loves being the little brother and totally loves having big sisters who are constantly making a big deal about him... he loves being the center of attention let's just say.  He loves making friends, playing with trucks, reading stories and playing with his cousins.



Well, that's the latest here at our house.  I'm committing to writing more about my family, now to find the time................ and I'm trying to have fewer of those coulda, shoulda, woulda moments. Bare with me. :)

thanks for enduring the longest of long posts. :)


2 comments:

natalie and london said...

love this xoxoxo

Jenelle said...

Loved reading the updates on your kiddos! They are all so grown up and adorable. Isn't Kayla supposed to be 12 still? Where does the time go!?! Miss you.