Monday, June 11, 2012

the best friend...

Every girl needs a best friend.  You know, that one person you can talk to about anything and everything.  That one person you can count on to give you good, honest advice, and love you for all your craziness and flaws.  Every girl needs another girl to talk to.  Every girl needs the listening ear of a good friend and the good advice that only another woman can give sometimes.

I've known my best friend for... well, years.  We met when we were both living the single mom life.  Our lives had such similar paths... we lived directly across the way from each other, we drove the same car, our dads are both identical twins {with names that rhyme no less... Dee and Lee and Brent and Kent}, we spent our childhood days just streets away from each other and had no idea {michigan and yale}, not only were we both single moms when we met but we were both in school {law school for her, design school for me}, we both are super independent, a little stubborn at times, we both have peacemaker type personalities {but you don't want to push either of us too far}, are big time over achievers, love with everything we have, and are a little too forgiving for our own good sometimes.

I love her because I can tell her about all of the stupid things I do and she won't judge me {probably because she's done them too}.
I love her because I can vent to her and she just listens.
I love her because she can tell me the truth without hurting my feelings.
I love her because she lets me be me around her all the time.
I love her because I don't have to clean my house when she comes over... and she doesn't think any less of me for it.
I love her because I don't have to get dressed up to hang out with her.
I love that she encourages me to keep going when I want to quit.
I love her because she understands me better than I understand myself sometimes.

I didn't grow up with sisters, but I will say the Lord has blessed me with several sister like friendships throughout my life.  I am SO lucky!  I honestly don't know what I'd do without all of my girl friends.

Recently my best friend and I got together for "girl time"... I love this time with her.  In fact I look forward to getting together with her every month.  I can always count on feeling uplifted and ready to conquer the world {or my little corner of it} after we get together.  This last time we got together we talked about... me.  Ugh... I don't typically like talking strictly about myself, but felt like I needed her help in ridding myself of this black cloud that's been following me.  In talking to her I realized that I've been consumed with change after change after change lately.  A new baby, a new house, a new community, being a stay at home mom, leaving school for a while, leaving my career for a while... in essence, I've left behind the life I knew so well and was comfortable with.  My life was full of routine and normalcy and much of it was very fulfilling.  I think if it had only been one or two of those things, I wouldn't have struggled so much, but all of those things together at once have been a recipe for the blues.  

It felt so good to have her reassurance that time will make things feel normal again.  That time will bring new friendships, new experiences, new prospects, new memories and new celebrations.  Time will bring a feeling of being settled once again.

I can always count on her to give me the encouragement, the hug, the motivation, and sometimes the push {or kick} I need.  I can always count on my best friend...

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Hang in there- your best friend is pretty dang great. But yes, transitions are ROUGH because they sneak up on you, at least I think so. When you are working you have a million interactions, school is brutal but at least you feel pulled forward and you get the accolades associated with knocking it out of the park on projects, etc. Staying at home, new babies, the ebb and flow of teenager angst is a quite a bit to deal with.

A quote I was looking up for myself this week that hit home is:

"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another."
- Anatole France

Even if your change is just taking-a-break-for-a-while, and in spite of it sounding dramatic, the drawbacks/discomforts/growing pains SUCK. Hang in there, I think you're awesome!

natalie and london said...

How did it take me so long to read this. You made me cry like a baby in my office. :) (not that that hasn't happened routinely before). You are the best girlfriend anyone could ask for. I just wish I could write it out as beautifully as you! Love you soul sister!!!