Sunday, June 14, 2009

Can you say...

...Autoimmune Disease?
If you're sitting in a doctors office and the doctor is looking at you with a blank look on his face... you may have an autoimmune disease.
If your symptoms are all over the place and don't make any sense to anyone (even the doctor)... you may have an autoimmune disease.
If you've had close to 20 labs drawn in a month and they still don't know what's wrong with you... you may have an autoimmune disease.
If you've ever sat in a doctors office and told the doctor that you'll pay him when he can tell you what's wrong with you... you may have an autoimmune disease.
If you've ever wondered if the doctor just made up some fancy word and called it a diagnosis... you definitely have an autoimmune disease.

So, after several months of playing the medical mystery game, I chose to "take a break". I just couldn't justify seeing another doctor and running yet another test.
So, originally the doctors thought that maybe my back was the culprit, but now they're saying that there is no way that my back is the cause of everything. Um ya... that's the very question I asked 2 months ago... So, the mystery continues.
The doctors are saying that I have an autoimmune disease. The trick is... there are so many diseases that fall into that category that I could have test after test run and still not have a definite answer any time soon.
Basically an autoimmune disease starts out with a virus. Your body sets out to destroy the virus but doesn't know that the virus has been killed, so your own antibodies keep attacking... since there is no virus to kill, the antibodies attack the healthy tissue in your body. This would explain why I have described the feeling over and over again as my body feeling like it's under attack. Fun times!
The symptoms seem to come and go... in fact there are days when I wake up and feel like I had never been sick at all. So, I have decided to take the summer off. I just want to enjoy my girls and my family, relax and de-stress. My plans are to either diagnose myself (haha)... if that doesn't work, I'll see a doctor in the fall... maybe.

If you're sick of being sick... you may have an autoimmune disease!

No comments: