Friday, September 28, 2012

friday flashback... to last friday

Flashing back to last Friday...
My phone seems like it is constantly making noise... phone calls, texts, reminders etc...
sometimes I just want to be a little less "connected" to everything, so I decided to ignore its beckoning for an afternoon... last Friday afternoon to be exact.  I knew doing this would leave me with the inevitable task of going through voice~mails and such.  As the afternoon progressed I decided it was time to return to the real world and began going through my many messages.
One particular voice~mail  caught me off guard and left me a little teary-eyed to be honest.  It wasn't a bad message, just an unexpected one.

The message went a little something like this...
Hello, this is brother Hoch, I'm the seminary teach at the middle school.  {long pause}  I was just calling to tell you what a wonderful daughter you are raising and how lucky I am to have her in my seminary class.  {another pause}  I have 4 daughters of my own and I want them to grow up and be just like your daughter.  {pause again}  She is an amazing young lady and I just wanted you to know that you have done a wonderful job raising her.

It left me speechless... with one of those lumps you get in your throat before you start crying.  She is such a good kid, but the world we live in today rarely notices those good things in people {especially teenagers}.  I loved that her seminary teacher took the time to make a phone call.  I loved the look on my daughter's face as I replayed the message for her.  I loved that he wasn't complimenting her for being a good student, but was noticing her for genuinely being a good person.  I loved that someone took the time to notice what a sweet, kind and loving kid my beautiful daughter is.

I am one lucky mom to have her as my daughter!

No comments: