Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Room 214

This is my new and permanent residence for the next 7 weeks.... room 214.
January 30th marks the day... the day I woke up and everthing for the next few months changed. My memories of that morning are a little fuzzy now, but the jist of it is this... I woke up around 6 a.m. to use the bathroom for the hundredth time and thought my water had broken. If you've had a baby, you probably know what that feels like. It was still dark out and I was wearing black pjs, so it wasn't until I reached the light of the bathroom that I realized the trail following me from the bedroom... it wasn't water lets just say. I woke Brad and we quickly drove to the ER. That drive was the longest 6 minutes of my life to date. Believe it or not I never really went into panic mode... I cried a little, but overall I was overcome with the feeling that everything would be okay. I was just grateful to be at the hospital.
I spent about 14 hours in labor and delivery. Monitors, steroid shots to srenghten the baby's lungs, magnesium to protect his little developing brain, 2 IVs, and blood draw after blood draw... it wasn't exactly a pleasant day. I spent the entire day thinking that I might end up with a tiny, little premature baby at any moment. Worried doesn't describe what I felt. Thankfully I spent the week in the hospital with no further complications.
The prospect of going home sounded really nice since at the time I was only 27 weeks along and the thought of finishing another 10 weeks of bed rest in the hospital didn't sound like much fun. After an uneventful week I was sent home. I made a stupid joke as I was discharged from the hospital... "even if I just get to go home for a couple of days I will be happy"... crap, why did I have to say that outloud???????
After 48 hours at home... I returned... knowing full well that if I returned I would spend the rest of the pregnancy here. Ugh...
All things in perspective this is the safest place for both baby and me... so I think I'll just suck it up. :) Placenta previa is a frustrating thing... some women have it and never have any complications, while other women have it and struggle no matter how closely they follow the rules. It's also frustrating to be hooked up to monitors and watch a completely healthy baby develop while my body reacts to the stress of the previa. The previa never causes any sort of stress on the baby (thankfully)... it's like he has no idea any of this is going on. I hope my body cooperates. The thought of the baby having to come early just because my body is freaking out leaves me feeling a little helpless...
I am optimistic though. I've got great support from family and friends, and an entire team of doctors watching over us. Each and everyday that passes is a blessing.
Now that I'm all wired in at the hospital I'll keep you posted. yay.

Thanks for all your love and prayers,
Heather and Baby Boy Miller

posting belly pictures soon... I promise!

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Heather, you have been on my mind a lot lately. Prayers are going to heaven for your sweet family. Hang in there!

Kathleen said...

Dear Heather,
I agree 100% with what my daughter said. God bless you and your sweet family..may you have the peace of the angels. love, Kathleen